We have compiled a list of questions that are frequently asked by our customers. If you have a query about our Travel Insurance, our policies or your cover you can find the answer here.

  • What is AIG?
  • AIG Europe Limited Finland Branch is the Finnish branch of AIG Europe Limited, an insurance company registered in The United Kingdom. AIG Europe Limited is authorised to write general insurance throughout the European Union. Our office is at Kasarmikatu 44, 00130 Helsinki, Finland. In the same office works also our efficient claims departement and all together 50 emplyees.
  • What is Travel Guard?
  • Travel Guard® is our marketing name for our travel insurance products. AIG co-operates with several airlines and travel agencies and also sells travel policies through www.aigdirect.fi/travelguard –website. Our affordable travel insurances has been developed to be easy to buy and easy to choose to best suitable option for everyone’s need.
  • How do I know what is covered under travel insurance?
  • You can find the policy document via link from this web site. Also you will get with email a policy certificate and policy document always after the purchase. We recommend you to carry the policy document and certificate with you while travelling.
  • When does my coverage begin? When does it end?
  • The Trip Cancellation protection will become effective immediately upon purchasing your insurance. The remaining coverage and services provided will take effect when you leave your home for this trip. All coverage and services will terminate when you return to Finland or at the end of the period shown on your policy certificate, whichever is earlier.
  • Do I need to carry my policy with me when travelling?
  • To take advantage of 24-hour emergency assistance, all you need is your policy number and the 24-hour medical emergency number, which is easily shown at the policy certificate. Although you do not need to carry proof of coverage for coverage to be in effect, some foreign medical providers may wish to see documentation.
  • Where can I obtain a copy of Policy Document
  • you will receive automatically by email a policy certificate with the link to the policy document. Policy document can be also read via link in these pages.  Although you do not have to carry a copy of the policy certificate order for coverage to be in effect, it is suggested that you do so for handy reference
  • Are there any countries excluded under my insurance?
  • Yes, your policy does not cover any trip in, to or through the following countries; Afghanistan, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Liberia, Syria, Democratic republic of Congo or Sudan.
  • Which countries belong to Europe?
  • Once you choose Europe as destination, we cover all trips to the continent of Europe west of the Ural Mountains including its neighboring islands and non-European countries bordering the Mediterranean (excluding Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Libya. For these countries you need to choose destination as worldwide).  If you travel to Turkey, you can choose Europe as destination.
  • Can I cancel my trip for any reason and get all my money back?
  • No. You may receive a reimbursement if you cancel for a covered reason as outlined in the Policy document. Covered reasons include, but are not limited to, such unforeseen emergencies as illness, injury or death of you, your travelling companion and/or an immediate family member. Pre-existing conditions are not covered.
  • Who can buy the policy?
  • Travel Guard travel insurance can be issued for all 18-70 years old individuals, who are permanent residents of Finland and has own KELA-card.
  • Can a child travel alone with this insurance?
  • No, Children under 18-years are only covered while travelling accompanied by an adult insured under this policy.
  • How do you define a family?
  • A family is defined as an individual and his or her partner (provided they have lived together for 6 months or more) and their dependent children who are aged under 18 at the date you buy this policy (or aged under 23 years  if they are still in full time education).
  • If I buy a family policy can my wife travel alone?
  • Unlike many multi-trip policies, this Annual Frequent Traveller policy does provide cover for insured Adults travelling independently. However children must be accompanied by an insured Adult named in the policy.
  • How do you define a partner?
  • A partner is considered a person who insured have lived with for 6 months or more who is insured's husband or wife, common law husband or wife, civil partner, fiancé, fiancée, boyfriend or girlfriend.
  • Are there any exclusions or limitations to the policy?
  • Yes. This travel insurance does not cover pre-existing medical conditions (A pre-existing medical condition is a medical condition or any illness related to a medical condition which you or your companions knew about when purchasing this insurance) and excludes comparatively high-risk activities. For a complete listing of exclusions and limitations, please refer to the General conditions and General exclusions as shown on the Policy Document.
  • I'm going Scuba Diving, am I covered?
  • Yes, this policy will cover you for scuba diving up to depths of 30 meters. You must dive under the direction of an accredited dive marshal, instructor or guide and you must keep within the guidelines of the relevant diving or training agency or organization.
  • Which activities this policy does not cover?
  • Compensation is not paid in example these cases where an accident, sickness or death was caused when the insured participated in: 
    • climbing, e.g. mountaineering, rock and wall climbing, 
    • abseiling, 
    • independent treks or expeditions abroad to mountains, jungles, deserts, wilderness areas or other uninhabited areas, 
    • pot holing, 
    • ocean sailing, 
    • being a hired crew member on a vessel sailing from one country to another, 
    • white water rafting above level 3, 
    • aviation sports, such as hand-gliding, paragliding, gliding, parachute jumping, bungee jumping,
    • Hot Air Ballooning (unless pre-booked with your Tour Operator), 
    • off-piste skiing and speed skiing, 
    • scuba diving below 30 metres, 
    • participation in an athletics competition, 
    • sport requiring a license, 
    • combat and contact sports, such as boxing, wrestling, judo and karate, 
    • hunting, 
    • cannoning, 
    • motor sports, 
    • fighting, except in justified self-defence 
    If you are unsure if the activity is covered and it is not mentioned at the list, please check from our customer service that this insurance meets your needs.
  • Does the policy always cover winter sports?
  • No, if you are to buy single trip policy, you need to add separately the winter sports cover. On annual policy there is automatically included cover for 17 days for winter sports.
  • Where do I get information on different coverage levels (Gold, silver & Bronze)?
  • The benefit amounts on different level can be seen below the price after making the quote. The same is found at  the  policy document.
  • How to choose the level that suits me best?
  • Our travel insurance product has been divided on 3 different coverage levels; Gold, Silver and Bronze. 
    On Bronze level we cover cancellation of the trip and trip delay, but not the medical expenses for travel illness or accident. If you need full travel insurance, then choose either Silver lever (basic coverage) or Gold level (higher benefits). 
    On Silver and Gold levels we cover also personal belongings and delay of the travel luggage. All coverage levels can be bought for individual, family, couple or for a small group. You can also add an excess waiver, which removes the excess amount or winter sport cover to make you winter trip more safe.
  • How I can pay the travel insurance?
  • You can pay your travel insurance by these credit cards: Visa, American Express, EuroCard or MasterCard. Please note that Visa Electron is not accepted as payment method. If you have Credit/Debit card, you can use the debit side for paying; you need to choose the number in the backside of the card (cvv code is the same as for credit number). Please note that your Debit/Credit card has to be activated from your bank to accept online payments with debit card.
  • What should I do if the payment is declined?
  • If for some reason your payment is declined, please recheck the number, validity and the CVVC code. If you still have problems with the payment, please contact your issuing bank or our customer service (tel: +358 203 50 550).
  • What if I change my mind after I purchase this Travel Insurance?
  • If this insurance does not meet your need, please contact us by email travelguardfinland@aig.fi. If policy is valid 30 – 90 days, we will refund the payment for the insurance if it is cancelled by writing, cancelled before the departure and no claims application made. We do not refund the payment for the insurance if it is valid less than 30 days. Please read detailed information from the Policy Document.
  • How can I make the claims notification?
  • Please fill in loss notification and send it signed with the necessary documentation. You can print the loss notification form from our web page. 

    If your loss notification will be mailded in Finland, you may use the below address (postage has been paid on your behalf):                        
    AIG Claims Department  
    AIG Europe Limited Finland
    Tunnus 5008951 
    00003 Vastauslähetys 

    AIG Claims Department  
    AIG Europe Limited Finland
    Kasarmikatu 44 
    00130 Helsinki 
    If you have any questions how to fill the form or you wish to receive the form by post, please contact our customer service; Tel: +358 203 50 550.
  • What to do in case of emergency?
  • Whilst travelling and in case of emergency, please contact our emergency service. Our professional staff is there to help you in English, Swedish and Finnish 24/7 every day of the year.
    Emergency Service – SOS International AS 
    Tel: +45 7010 5054